Even though it’s been said that “you can’t judge a book by its cover,” first impressions are still very important. If you’re a homeowner, the first thing people see when they visit is your front door. Does your front door look inviting? Does it suggest that what’s inside is organized, well-maintained and comfortable? If not, then it’s time to give your door some needed TLC. Here are three basic ways to upgrade a front door, along with a few tips and considerations.
1. Paint Your Door
There’s nothing like a fresh coat of paint for perking up a front door, even if you want to keep the same color. For a more radical change, consider using one or more different colors. While some homeowners opt for bold colors, others prefer a more classic appearance, so they paint their doors black, white, a combination of both or neutral colors.
Before deciding on a color, make sure to get paint samples. Just be sure that whatever brand you select is an exterior paint, as they are more durable and formulated for resisting moisture. To speed up the painting process, consider using spray paints, which come in a large selection of colors.
2. Replace Handles and Door Knobs
Sometimes homeowners try to change everything but the hardware on their front doors. They don’t realize that door handles and door knobs can make a substantial difference in how a door looks. Not to mention added security. When you select door hardware, be sure the handle and door knob match the style of your door. Furthermore, take into consideration the color, texture, and style of your hardware when it comes time to give your door that upgrade. We carry a high selection of Yale Locksets, Handles, Levers, and Deadbolts on our website if you feel your door needs that new handle touch-up.
3. Add or Replace a Door Glass Insert
One of the best ways to spruce up a door is by adding a door glass insert. In addition to giving your home more curb appeal, a door glass insert also brightens the interior of a home. If you already have one, there is always a way to upgrade or even upgrade for a more energy efficient alternative. Moreover, your glass insert could have a discolored or grimy-looking privacy film that gives your front door a dated appearance, hinting that it’s time to be replaced.
When searching for door glass inserts, look no further than Zabitat! We have a huge variety of choices that are sure to go with the architecture of your home. In fact, you can find everything from Craftsman, Classic, Contemporary, Old World to Eclectic styles.
Other Tips, Considerations and Warnings
- For optimal energy efficiency, replace the weather stripping on your door, along with the door sweep. Besides retaining heat inside your house, weather stripping also helps to prevent dirt and water from entering your home.
- Consider adding bold, large house numbers to your home. This not only helps people to find your home, but it’s also offers aesthetic appeal.
- If you plan to paint your door, do it on a sunny, clear day to ensure the paint dries.
- For maximum natural light entering your house, select clear glass inserts.
- Remove clutter, such as toys, watering cans, hoses and other items from your entryway that can detract from your door and give it a messy look.
- By using hanging lanterns, you can light up your front door. Lanterns are especially a good idea for coastal homes as they can evoke a nautical feeling. To reduce glare and create softer light, use frosted bulbs.
- Add flower pots and planters—What’s more, freshen up your old pots and planters with a new coat of paint for added appeal. If you don’t have a “green thumb”, choose low-maintenance plants that don’t require much water, such as succulents.
- Consider installing a mail-slot to your door. Even if your mail carrier doesn’t use it, a mail-slot can add character to your door.
Does your front door need some TLC? It doesn’t have to be boring. Why not show your door some love this Valentine’s Day by giving it a tune up. At Zabitat, we have a special promotion for a free Door Tune Up Kit with any Decorative Glass purchase going from February 13th 2019 – February 15th 2019 . Stop by our website where you can learn more about our wide selection of products.